Sunday, May 18, 2008

Enable mouse scrolling in Ubuntu 8.04 on VMWare 6.0.3

(May 18, 2008)

Last night, I installed Ubuntu 8.04 on VMWare 6.0.3 and mouse scroll did not work, even after VMWare tools were installed. My friend, P' Moo+, told me to update Ubuntu, install VMWare and do some X config. I am, however, too lazy to revert my VM to previous snapshot, so I searched Internet for a solution.

I found a topic "How To Enable Mouse Wheel Scrolling in Ubuntu 8.04 on VMware" on http://www.windowsvistaplace.com/how-to-enable-mouse-wheel-scrolling-in-ubuntu-804-on-vmware/othersoftware
This solution does help (my host machine is Windows XP, the author's is Mac OS X). In short, I have to replace

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "vmmouse"
[.. blah blah blah ..]
EndSection

with

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "vmmouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "Buttons" "5"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Many thanks to 'computerboom' (the author of the article I found).

No comments: